Tuesday, April 21, 2015

     Happy third birthday, Cocoa Bean!

     In preparation for welcoming Cocoa Bean to his new home, and in the hopes of making the transition easy as possible, I have been stocking up on bird toys. I have heard from countless sources that mustache parakeets are avid chewers, so the hope is to provide Cocoa with enough exciting toys to busy his beak, and keep it from ever needing to "inspect" my furniture.
     I have had my eye on the adorable little birdy piñata at my local bird store. It looks just like a miniature version of what you might see at a kid's birthday party, and it can be filled with your bird's favorite treats, such as dried fruit pieces or bird-safe nuts. 
     But bird 'parents' need not buy all their bird's toys. It is important that birds practice their foraging instincts. Owners can encourage birds to exercise this instinct by hiding treats in common household things such as toilet paper rolls, Dixie cups, or coffee filters. 

      Here's hoping Cocoa likes his little piñata when we celebrate his belated birthday in about a month!

No comments:

Post a Comment